I was browsing through WordPress last night in the Book tags and came across a post by Girl In The Pages about her answers to the 55 Questions for readers survey and I thought it would be a great idea to answer these questions so you guys can know a little bit more about my book habits. This survey was originally posted here at The Literary Lollipop blog, both are fantastic book blogs that I hope you guys can check out! Anyway here are my answers 🙂
1. Favourite Childhood Book?- Swan in the Swim by Lucy Daniels, I used to have an obsession with animal books, particularly Animal Ark books and this was my favourite, I read it all the time.
2. What are you reading right now?- A Study In Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy and A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin… Wow that’s a lot of books
3. What books do you have on request at the library?- None at the moment.
4. Bad book habit?- I tend to brake the spines. Not on purpose, but yeah it tends to happen a lot, I am just not careful enough.
5. What do you currently have checked out from the library?- From my local library? None, but the library of friends? 5
6. Do you have an e-reader?- No but I read a lot on my phone on iBooks or on Kindle on my Tablet.
7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?- Re-read question 2^ 🙂 I don’t intend to but most times I do read several at the same time so yeah, several at once.
8. Have your reading habits changed since you started blogging?- A little bit, I look more closely for great quotes and also I am more critical when thinking about why I am reading the book and my likes and dislikes of it but that’s about it.
9. Least favourite book you’ve read this year?- Barely Breathing by Rebecca Donovan, I was in love with the first book in the series and looked forward to reading this one so much but it just wasn’t up there for me which really upset me and I struggled to finish it.
10. Favourite book you’ve read this year?- Split Second by Kasie West, cannot recommend this one enough, one of my favourite authors/books and it’s definetly one of my all time favourites.
11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?- I try to often but generally just end up staying in my comfort zone, although I am trying it at the minute by reading one of the Sherlock Holmes series as well as a classic like Anna Karenina
12. What is your reading comfort zone?- YA mainly with Fantasy and Sci-Fi as well
13. Can you read on the bus?- Yep, I do a lot of traveling to Uni so a good book always helps on long journeys (although it does lead to nearly missing the stop several times a week!) I get too lost in books 🙂
14. Favourite place to read?- Comfy Chair with my feet up.
15. What’s your policy on book lending?- I only lend my books to fellow booklovers because I know they will take care of them, anyone else I’m like ehmmm…
16. Do you dog ear your books?- Nope, can’t do it, it’s a pet hate and really gets to me so bookmarks and post it notes all the way.
17. Do you write notes in the margins of your books?- Only school books so I know what to talk about but personal books I just write on notepads instead.
18. Do you break the spines of your books?- Not intentionally but if it’s a big book I tend to accidentally do it without realizing.
19. What is your favourite language to read?- English because it’s my main language, the only other language I have read in is Italian and it was a play and a screenplay. I have yet to read a book in another language.
20. What makes you love a book?- It depends, every book is unique but what I really love is when I forget reality and become really engrossed with the book and it’s characters.
21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?- When I get really excited and hyper when reading a book, sometimes just so others can feel like I feel **cough**The Fault In Our Stars**cough**
22. Favourite Genre?- Young Adult
23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did)?- Horror, every time I go to a bookstore I just forget to go to this section.
24. Favourite Biography?- The Reason I Jump by Naoki Higashida, it’s written by a boy with autism and is a must read by all, I was very moved reading this.
25. Have you ever read a self-help book (And, was it actually helpful)?- I don’t remember if I have, at least for me personally, I have read one as part of my degree but that was for study and I never took the advice personally so I cant answer this properly.
26. Favourite Cookbook?- Anything by the Hairy Bikers, love their recipes, although I can’t really cook but it’s nice to imagine being able to make the meals.
27. Most Inspirational book you’ve read this year?- The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis it’s a true story that really makes you think.
28. Favourite Reading Snack?- Not really a snack but Hot Chocolate.
29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience?- Dracula by Bram Stoker, I heard such great things about this, then I had to force myself to finish it, I think I expected too much of it.
30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?- I don’t really listen to critics, I tend to listen more to friends and bloggers as we tend to like the same books.
31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?- I don’t really like giving negative reviews, I hate putting people off books just because I don’t like them but if asked I will tell my opinion good or bad but if I can avoid it I will.
32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you choose?- Spanish, I am learning the language at the moment and hope to read a book soon probably one I have read in English first though.
33. Most intimidating book you’ve read?- The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, this book terrified me and I couldn’t actually finish it but I will give it a try again at some point.
34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?- The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak, I’m nervous that because of all the hype I won’t like it so I keep putting it off.
35. Favourite Poet?- Rudyard Kipling
36. How many books do you usually have checked out from the library at any given time?- Actual library 0, I think i’ve read all the books in my local one, it isn’t that big but library of friends between 3-5 at a time.
37. How often do you return books to the library unread?- not very often
38. Favourite fictional character?- Don’t do this to me, please. I can’t choose, one that I respect a lot though is Tris from the Divergent Series.
39. Favourite fictional villain?- Voldemort, no question.
40. Books you’re most likely to bring on vacation?- Harry Potter books, when in doubt I always go back to them.
41. The longest time you’ve gone without reading?- A few years in primary but when I started secondary school my love for books was back big time.
42. Name a book you could/would not finish?- I can’t remember the name but it was about bullying at a boarding school and I just couldn’t finish it.
43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?- Anything, I get distracted very easily.
44. Favourite film adaption of a novel? Catching Fire, obviously there were some bits missed out but overall amazing!
45. Most disappointing film adaption? Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, I tried hard to like this one but it’s by far my least favourite Harry Potter film and adaption.
46. Most money you’ve ever spent in a bookstore at one time?- I will not repeat this but it was bad.
47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?- I used to all the time but I now enjoy the books instead of skimming, although sometimes when it is a huge book and I mean HUGE book and I am a couple of chapters in but am not really into the book, I will quickly skim just to make sure I am not going to waste time reading it when I know I will hate the ending.
48. What would cause you to stop reading a book halfway through?-If it is making me fell really down and sick.
49. Do you like to keep your books organized?- Yep, all my series are together.
50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once they’ve been read?- Keep them, I am a bit of a hoarder.
51. Are there any books that you’ve been avoiding?- Not really no
52. Name a book that made you angry?- One Breath Away by Heather Gudenkauf, please read this book I loved it a lot but it still made me angry, one of my all time favourites.
53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?- The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson. Everyone should read this at some point.
54. A book you expected to like but didn’t?- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, I had to force myself to finish this one.
55. Favourite guilt-free guilty pleasure reading?- Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L James, I know it’s not a good book but I like to read it when I have nothing to do and am not up to reading a new book.
So that is my questions done, I hope you give it a go and if you do, leave a comment below and I will check it out, also check out the bloggers I gave you the links to above they are great!